Archiving is the end of life for data, it completes the data lifecycle and safeguards the stable performance of the SAP system. With more data, there are more hardware requirements and more capex & opex budgetary requirements. For every GIG of space added to the system, there is a maintenance cost.
Consider the statutory obligations to not only retain data, but also to destroy data. Getting it wrong has massive legal implications, e.g., financial audit, GDPR and POPI.
Archiving regularly ensures you have the right data for analytics and business insights. Archiving before migrations or upgrades ensures that only the right data is changed or moved.
SAP Information Lifecycle Management (ILM)
Keeping legacy systems running for historical reports and auditing means maintenance in an operable state for an extended periods:
- System Maintenance Cost
- Knowledge Cost
- Risk and Instability Cost
Compliance and reporting requirements require historical data from legacy systems which needs to be maintained and accessible. Archiving doesn’t provide for this accessibility.
Data volumes must be managed - storing data in memory is more costly than storing data on disk.
SAP ILM is designed to address these challenges with a combination of processes, policies, software and hardware.
Benefits of ILM
ILM Provides a Choice for Different Reporting Needs
- Enhanced reporting to address legal and auditing requirements
- Multiple reporting options including local, accelerated / business user and BW reporting
- Use pre-delivered/existing BW content or check out increasingly available HANA content
- Use available BO portfolio and existing export functions (AIS)
- Choose between basic (local) reporting or complex queries based on (easy) modelling
- Load only data that is needed for the reporting purpose
- Extend the scope of reporting by SAP HANA (e.g. open items without sec. indices
- Report both live SAP and legacy data (SAP and Non-SAP data)
- Support of new scenarios (e.g. partial migration/conversion)
- Increase the overall performance with SAP HANA (DB)
- Shorten project implementation time through content reuse